Friday, January 12, 2007

A Baby Story

Here's the Campbell's Soup version of the birth, if you're interested...

I was scheduled to be induced Thursday night, and Rick and I eagerly awaited the phone call from the hospital to tell me it was time to come in. As we were waiting at home, I started to have very strong contractions and was pretty sure I was in labor anyways. Since they were still not close enough together, we waited for the phone call and headed to the hospital around 9 PM. Turns out that an induction would not be necessary and the contractions were the real thing - I was 1 cm dilated.

They hooked me up with some Pitocin to get things going a little quicker. Within a few hours the contractions were INTENSE and I was 4 cm dilated, so I eagerly requested an epidural (the good drug that makes the pain go away if you're not familiar with labor terms). This is when things got scary. They also increased the Pitocin at this time, which sent me into one long contraction. This caused the baby's heartbeat to drop dramatically, and I was rushed into the OR in case an emergency C-section was necessary. Luckily, they were able to stop the contraction and baby's heartbeat returned to normal.

Things progressed quickly after that, and by 7:30 AM I was pushing. About an hour later, a beautiful boy with a full head of dark hair was born. It was amazing!! Words cannot come close to expressing how you feel once you see your baby for the first time.

No comments: